Replace (1310ET): Steve Scalise (R-LA) has been nominated for GOP Speaker, per Politico’s Olivia Beavers.
BREAKING: SCALISE wins the House GOP speakership nomination, sources inform me. He defeats Jordan for the gavel.
113 to 99, I’m instructed
— Olivia Beavers (@Olivia_Beavers) October 11, 2023
A House flooring vote will observe someday this afternoon.
* * *
Replace (1205ET): House Republicans keep effectively tabled a flow into to alternate the options on the speaker vote, after Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA) allies rallied to defeat the measure.
Per Punchbowl Information’ Jake Sherman, „This places SCALISE on the extent of the nomination to be House speaker.”
BREAKING — HOUSE REPUBLICANS keep tabled a flow into to alternate the options on the speaker vote.
SCALISE’s whip operation, which was once in overdrive over the ultimate few days making an attempt to defeat the measure.
This places SCALISE on the extent of the nomination to be House speaker.
— Jake Sherman (@JakeSherman) October 11, 2023
* * *
After ousting Kevin McCarthy as Speaker, House Republicans on Wednesday kicked off the strategy of electing his change – which may presumably effectively retract a while.
The entrance runners for the declare are Reps. Jim Jordan (R-OH), Chair of the House Judiciary Committee, and Steve Scalise (R-LA), House Majority Chief.
Beginning points off was once a proposed modification to the voting options by Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX), which may presumably require a nominee to true 217 votes within the convention previous to the vote heads to the flooring. The motive of this is to retain away from a repeat of the drama that happened in January of this yr, when McCarthy’s election took additional than a dozen ballots to cling the speakership.
As for the Speakership vote, btw Reps Scalisse and Jordan “it’ll jog both scheme,” Republicans inform press.
RIGHT NOW: They’re voting to desk a proposed rule alternate intro’d by Rep Chip Roy.
Catered lunch deliveries correct rolled into the committee, indicating extended day forward 🥪 pic.twitter.com/WnabOD8w6W
— Ellie Sennett (@EllieMSennett) October 11, 2023
As The Hill notes, getting 217 votes acquired’t be an easy feat. Per Roy’s proposal:
- The method begins with a majority vote for a candidate.
- If a candidate fails to rep 217 votes, a Q&A session takes declare, previous to a secret pollvote.
- If a candidate will get now not as much as 217 votes once more, the strategy repeats with a Q&A session and one different secret pollvote.
- If that vote ends with a candidate getting now not as much as 185 votes, the strategy restarts. A candidate with 217 votes is talked about a winner. If a candidate will get 185 to 216 votes, there’s a Q&A adopted by a roll name vote.
- If that ends with a candidate getting between 185 to 216 votes, there may be one different Q&A session and roll name vote.
- If no candidate will get 217 votes in that vote the strategy restarts.
- In one other case, the candidate with 217 votes is talked about a winner.
Republicans at the moment are voting on whether or not to desk Roy’s proposal, with Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) asserting: „The modification is wrong in lots of respects, for my fragment I mediate it empowers a handful of of us in order to conclude the flow into of a Speaker’s election in its tracks.”
If the flow into to desk is successful, the convention will flow into on to the key pollelection for speaker. Nonetheless if the flow into to desk fails, „then there could be a secondary modification supplied,” per Womack.